Tuesday, January 4, 2022

I'm not feeling resilient...

Today I emailed the university's "resilience" committee, which is responsible for managing the pandemic. I asked:
I am curious about the status of the decision to open in person for the spring. I would like lead time to adjust if necessary (I'm sure students would too), and if we are opening as normal, are we going to be providing high-quality masks like N95s to students, since vaccination no longer prevents disease? Are we considering moving the testing site near to where the people are? Are the unvaccinated going to be on campus? That sort of thing. When will we know what's changed, since the threat has changed?
The reply I received was...not very satisfying. I won't post it without my colleagues' permission but in essence, as far as I can tell, literally nothing has changed at all between last semester and this semester. 

I don't know if I feel distraught or despair or maybe just numb. 

I postponed surgery anticipating that we were going to have the largest spike yet. We're having the largest spike yet. And I can't point to a single thing that is going to be different next semester. That seems crazy. Shouldn't there be a change in procedures when the bug becomes more virulent and dodges the vaccines? Am I wrong about that? 

B

No comments:

Post a Comment